June 9, 2022
Education is power. Shawn “JAY-Z” Carter and Jack Dorsey are funding The Bitcoin Academy, a program for residents of Marcy Houses, in Brooklyn, New York, where Jay grew up. Designed in collaboration with Crypto Blockchain Plug and Black Bitcoin Billionaire, this program aims to provide education and empower the community with knowledge.
The vision for Bitcoin is that it doesn’t have barriers, but lack of access to financial education is a barrier. It’s still hard to use for everyday necessities. Plus, people need devices and data plans.
This program aims to provide education, empower the community with knowledge, and get rid of some of the barriers so that residents can learn more about Bitcoin specifically and finance in general.
The Bitcoin Academy is currently focused on Marcy Houses, but we hope to expand to other neighborhoods soon.
- Classes will be offered online and in person from June 22 through September 7. All Marcy residents are welcome.
- In-person classes will take place two evenings per week and dinner will be served.
- Those participating in the program will receive MiFi devices and a one-year limited data plan, plus smartphones if needed. Residents may keep the devices.
- “Crypto Kids Camp” programming will take place on two Saturdays for Marcy kids and teens aged 5-17.
- This initiative is made possible by personal grants from Jay and Jack, with on-the-ground support from Block and the Shawn Carter Foundation.
Quote from Ms. Gloria Carter:
“The Shawn Carter Foundation has always been about providing educational access and opening doors of opportunity to underserved communities. No one should be left out or behind. We truly appreciate the partnership with Block and Jack Dorsey to bring financial, specifically bitcoin education to the Marcy residents, where I spent many years raising my family. Everyone should be empowered to make informed financial decisions in order to take care of themselves and their families.”
- What is Money?
- What is Bartering?
- What is Cryptocurrency?
- What is Blockchain?
- What is Bitcoin Mining?
- How to keep yourself safe from Scammers
- Plus, “Crypto Kids Camp” — 2 Saturdays this summer
- MiFi hotspots and limited one-year data plan
- Smartphones for those who need one
- Residents may keep devices after the program ends
- A nominal portion of bitcoin for hands-on learning
- Meals served at in person classes two evenings per week